Tuesday 18 February 2014

SJ YARN TASTING

Just this past Friday, February 14, Saint John Cricket Cove held it's first "Yarn Tasting" with Estelle Yarns.
I was a little concerned how the day would progress due to the storm, but it unfolded with moments I'll cherish and many smiles and laughs.  So sit back with a tea or coffee and let me turn the pages in this Valentine Story.

The windows and blackboard declared an event was to be held... the previous week one could hear the remarks: 'Yarn Tasting'....really??  I'll be dropping by for that, loot bags -- be sure I'll be here, ....... I ensured customers and other merchants, they would not want to miss out and I'd have delights to embrace all their senses.

So early Friday morning I arrived to set the stage for the day.
The Estelle yarns with their new colors and fibers were arrayed like the sun on the round, glass table.
The treats arrayed in fine fashion.  A homemade dip for crackers, mini 'Olympic' cookies, hugs and kisses that melted in one's mouth.

Our first guests arrived and stayed to knit.
Hmm.... was heard throughout the shop all day long; as people requested yarns in various colors for projects their minds could dream creating.  Ohhh, Ahhh as they stroked, smelled, and viewed the display of treasures.
Let me zoom you in to hear some of the day's conversations......
  • I beckoned male spouses to enter the draw, so doubling the chances to take a loot bag home.
  • One male even declared to a faithful customer, how he appreciated her supporting him in his candidacy for the championship on hand -- Olympics were in the air as knitters and non-knitters filled out ballets hoping to win.
  • Part of the Roy family posed with a Loot Bag winner -- Matt became my day's assistant, welcoming all who entered to be sure to write their name and phone number on the paper and have a good treat to eat.
  • Children ate a cookie and colored on paper while Mom or Dad shopped.
  • Merchants were heard saying, (about me) she's having too much fun!
  • Laughter rang across the phone wires as I made the calls to winners --- especially when the husbands names were drawn, Roger for Tracey, and Pat for Rose just to mention two.  (The following morning I presented Pat with his loot bag and told him any Saturday he could join our class, he insisted to Rose she'd be the one knitting the surprise.)
  • The whole Roy family returned Friday evening to see if Mom's name had been drawn.  I invited each child to make a draw and Matt drew Mom.  What a delight!  He then won a special place in my heart when he drew on the flip side of a blank empty slip a row of hearts for me then wrapped his arms around me in a big hug.
At 8 PM the day drew to a close with Debbie Smith being the winner of the gift bag.

The blackboard in the window sums the day up well,
Life is a gift
                  so fill it with Love    Emoji
... every moment you knit,
       stitch it with Love

Congratulations to all the winners and Thanks to Estelle Yarns for giving us all a terrific, fun day!  Emoji
A Valentine's Day not to be forgotten.


Saint John Staff, Cindy 



No comments:

Post a Comment